Join Nanette Zeller on Saturday, Oct. 16th from 1:00 to 4:00 pm to learn all about Slow Stitching. Slow stitching is being mindful with your creative practice. The process of slow stitching focuses on the process and not the outcome. In this workshop-style class, you will learn some basic hand sewing stitches, then, begin layering fabrics and stitches to create a stitched swatch. Finished swatches could be used to make a simple coin purse or sewn together for a larger project. If you crave time to slow down, mindful stitching may offer the meditative escape you need.
This is a multi-level course:
- Beginning students: will receive a starter kit and learn the basic stitch patterns and techniques. Please bring a small set of scissors to class.
- Returning students: will be introduced to new stitch patterns and techniques. Please bring a variety of fabrics and fibers, backing material (cloth, felt or batting), embroidery or sashiko needles, embroidery thread/floss, scissors, and pins (safety or straight).
A Swap table will be available for students to share small scraps of fabric. If you’re interested in sharing, please bring, small quantities of fabrics, yarn, threads, trims, etc.
Bring your own supplies or choose the optional supply kit for an additional $10.
Slow Stitching Supplies:
- 4" x 8" background fabric
- 5" x 9" wool or acrylic felt
- Fabric scraps of various sizes and designs
- Embroidery floss
- Sashiko or embroidery (hand sewing) needles
- 10 (or more) small safety pins
- 5" x 9" lining fabric (optional)
About Your Instructor
Nanette S. Zeller is an author, instructor and award-winning artist whose artwork and writings have been published internationally. She earned a master’s degree in wildlife biology from North Carolina State University. In 2005, she began combining her skills to create innovative mixed-media textile art (generically referred to as art quilts) where she found her artistic voice in nature-inspired themes. Her work is heavily embellished with thread work to create beautiful textures. Her artwork has been displayed in both solo and group shows at local and nationally recognized exhibits. In addition to numerous exhibit awards, Nanette is a two-time award recipient of the Regional Artist Grant Project offered through the Arts Council of Fayetteville, NC.
Other Important Information:
- Registration allows for 1 person per class. Only those who have registered may participate.
- Aprons are not provided. You may bring your own if you wish.
- Class starts promptly, so be sure to arrive on time.
- Registrations are non-refundable.
At ARTworks Vass, we encourage you to bring your artful heart along with nibbles and sips to make your experience more joyful.
Register online here or call us at 910-245-4129 to save your space in class.
If you'd like to schedule this class for your group of 6 or more at an alternative date and time, please email info@ARTworksVass.com or call 910-245-4129 for more information.