Join Nanette Zeller on Saturday, May 2nd from 2:00 until 5:00 pm to learn how to thread-sketch your pet!
Nanette S. Zeller is an author, instructor and award-winning artist whose artwork and writings have been published internationally. She earned a master’s degree in wildlife biology from North Carolina State University. In 2005, she began combining her skills to create innovative mixed-media textile art (generically referred to as art quilts) where she found her artistic voice in nature-inspired themes. Her work is heavily embellished with thread work to create beautiful textures. Her artwork has been displayed in both solo and group shows at local and nationally recognized exhibits. In addition to numerous exhibit awards, Nanette is a two-time award recipient of the Regional Artist Grant Project offered through the Arts Council of Fayetteville, NC.
Thread-sketching is an artful way to use your sewing machine and thread. In this class, Nanette will show you how to trace your beloved pet onto fabric, then use free-motion machine embroidery to draw the design onto fabric.
Your finished project is an 8” x 10” image that can be framed.
Pre-requisite: This is an intermediate level class. Students should have experience and confidence using their sewing machine. Students with “some” experience with free-motion quilting and/or thread-painting will have the greatest success.
IMPORTANT! One digital image of your pet at least 7 days before class is necessary. (You will receive instructions for where to email your photo after you have registered for the class.) Nanette will use your image to make black and white copies to use as a pattern. Select a good quality photo which shows clear detail of the animal’s face. A head shot with a front or side view of the face works best. Avoid images that have busy or distracting backgrounds/foregrounds which may interfere with the details of the animal. For example: a dark faced animal with a dark background would be difficult to see details.
Please bring these supplies to class:
- 1 color copy of your pet’s photo (either a standard photo or paper copy is OK)
- Sewing machine in good working order with the power cord and pressure foot
- Several empty bobbins designed for your sewing machine
- Free-motion foot (also known as a hopping or darning foot)
- Small pair of scissors and other basic sewing supplies
Optional Supplies: Not required but very helpful. Please bring if you have them.
- Light box
- Fabric markers, color pencils, or crayons to add color
The Class SupplyKit is REQUIRED to be purchased from the instructor and includes:
- 2 black & white digitally enhanced paper copies of your pet’s photo
- 10” x 12” rectangle and 8” x 8” square muslin fabric
- 10” x 12” rectangle and 8” x 8” square medium-weight fusible interfacing
- 10” x 12” Fusible webbing
- 8” x 10” stiff interfacing, for mounting artwork
- Good quality, navy-colored thread, 40 or 50 wt
- 80/12 topstitch machine needle
- Copy paper
- Plus shared use of Pencils, Permanent markers, Fabric markers, Coloring tools (e.g., pencils, crayons & markers)
At ARTworks Vass, we encourage you to bring your artful heart along with nibbles and sips to make your experience even more joyful.